Re: newbie question on sha1 and md5

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 04:26:47PM +0200, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Thursday 27 September 2001 15:36, zentara wrote:
> <snip>
> > I built them into the kernel, and they report registration on boot,
> > but how do I actually use them? I know how to use the md5sum and
> > sha1sum utilities that come with Suse, but what trick is there to
> > using the cryptoapi versions built into a kernel?
> <snip>
>
> They're for use by in-kernel modules. They're not for use by usespace.
> if you need userspace crypto, use gcrypt (and until that is stable
> openssl).

Another option is to look at the source code for
losetup and doc's for HVR's API and then modify the sources
yourself. You could probably discuss this with the
debian maintainer of the package about making it mainstream
debian; if done with compile switches if might even go
upstream to the the current author of the code base for
the applications of interest.

Use Linux: A computer        Dale Amon, CEO/MD
is a terrible thing          Village Networking Ltd
to waste.                    Belfast, Northern Ireland