Re: Possible to determine crypto-type from crypted file?

On Saturday 29 September 2001 13:06, Jonas Larsson wrote:
<snip>
> Is it possible to determine what crypto-type (aes, twofish, blowfish,
> etc) that has been used to crypt a file by just looking in the file
> examining its content?

No.

> If not it maybe would be possible to increase security be allowing
> many different crypto-types in the system and create a small script
> used for seting up the crypto-loop that takes the crypto-type as an
> arg:
<snip>

This doesn't make the system more secure than using different (good)
keys. And if one of the ciphers gets broken tomorrow, you'd best
inplace-convert your loop devices to another cipher and _destroy_ all
backups made with the old one.

Marc

--
I am Bush of USA. You will be pacified. Resistance is futile.