[OT] Re: Those damn army brats!

Hello,

On Thursday,  2. August 2001 20:20, Michael T. Babcock wrote:
> > > Yes, actually, his message was perfectly MIME compliant.  Read the
> > > source.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > OK, please show me the RFC that defines application/ms-tnef :-)
>
> You might want to be silent instead of sounding foolish.
>
> application/ms-tnef is the type of data within a segment of the MIME
> message.
> The message is MIME compliant -- perfectly so.  It began and ended with
> proper MIME separators and defined the data types of each of the sections
> of the message, including the plaintext version your mail reader should
> have presented you with.  If I'm not mistaken, the ms-tnef section may have
> even been
> labelled as alternative content; not as an attachment.

As far as I get ist, what Marc (and others) is complaining about is the
message <NBBBJHKIOKPKOGOEPEDPCEFCDMAA.stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx>, sent on "Fri, 27
Jul 2001 21:43:58 -0700". That one was of type "multipart/mixed".
The "application/ms-tnef"-section therefore was not (and also should not have
been) "labelled as alternative content".

The question of this message being MIME-compliant or not is not exactly the
point. But when I read RFC 1341, it says:

            The
            process  of  defining  new  content-subtypes,  then,  is not
            intended to be a mechanism for  imposing  restrictions,  but
            simply  a  mechanism  for publicizing the usages. There are,
            therefore,  two  acceptable  mechanisms  for  defining   new
            Content-Type subtypes:

                 1.  Private values (starting  with  "X-")  may  be
                      defined  bilaterally  between two cooperating
                      agents  without   outside   registration   or
                      standardization.

                 2.   New  standard  values  must  be   documented,
                      registered  with,  and  approved  by IANA, as
                      described in Appendix F.  Where intended  for
                      public  use,  the  formats they refer to must
                      also be defined by a published specification,
                      and possibly offered for standardization.

As I would guess (but don't exactly know) that MS has not taken step 2, the
second (binary) part of the message schuld have had the
application/octet-stream content type and have the MS-specific stuff done in
a private header field, as stated in:

            7.8  Experimental Content-Type Values

            A Content-Type value beginning with the characters "X-" is a
            private  value,  to  be  used  by consenting mail systems by
            mutual agreement.  Any format without a rigorous and  public
            definition  must  be named with an "X-" prefix, and publicly
            specified  values  shall  never  begin  with  "X-".

Most important and entirely independent of the MIME-compliancy of the message
is the fact that you simply cannot send your data (source code in this case?)
encoded in a proprietary format only readable with proprietary software to a
list that deals with aspects of an operating system for which _no_ software
exists that can read the format. You should really stick to the usual way of
distributing code - make (compressed) tarballs. Which the sender did in a
second message(see <NBBBJHKIOKPKOGOEPEDPGEGDDMAA.stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx> ).

Another thing is that it would have been much better to upload the tarball to
some place in the WWW and simply point interested parties to its URL.
Distributing binary data of whichever size to a whole bunch of people of
which you can tell that a maximum of five to ten percent will one day
possibly look into it. Although 7 kb is not too much, I personally would
consider it impolite. As says RFC 1855:

| Don't send large files to mailing lists when Uniform Resource Locators
| (URLs) or pointers to ftp-able versions will do. If you want to send it as
| multiple files, be sure to follow the culture of the group. If you don't
| know what that is, ask.

Regards,

David Gümbel

--
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to
understand the simplicity."