RE: Announce loop-AES-v1.3b file crypto package

Mr. Ruusu:

        You keep claiming that the I-patch is broken, but in reality, it is
only broken with regard to SMP users. I would venture to guess that you are
speaking about a very minute community of users whom are thus attempting to
use Crypto patches on SMP boxes, however I do appreciate your desire to warn
that community of potential hazards.

        Nevertheless, it does seem that you have almost a tone of arrogance
or religious divergence to using the I-patch / crypto API. Mr. Riedel has
indicated on several occasions his desire to access and service the "BROKEN"
(as you state) code sections in an effort to subvert the bugs you proclaim.
Do you have some commercial interest in simply continuing to rant and rave
about these bugs, or you have a true desire to assist in a team effort to
effectuate a solution? Granted I appreciate that your free time is your free
and you can do as you wish with it, but I am saddened by seeing several
technical experts having such trouble to work together.

        Your point regarding the 2.4.6 patch being a "rehash" of the 2.4.3.1
patch with no real fixes is well taken, I personally did not realize that,
but it is useful to know.

        For the most part I think most users here would love to see a fully
kernel integrated crypto solution which covers the entire OS as a whole,
leveraging crypto technology all throughout Linux. I believe this is why
people are trying to continue to work or figure out what you seem to know
about what is broken pursuant to the I-patch.

        My final suggestion and conclusion is that if you and Mr. Riedel
could work out your personal and philosophical differences and cooperatively
work to resolve the I-patch issues you would be doing a grand service to a
fair community of people. Why not take the advantages of your AES Loop
software, and blend it into the I-patch while working to resolve current
I-patch issues as well. I personally will go so far as to say thank you (in
advance) and well after you would complete such an effort.

        As well I would hope that Mr. Riedel would also post (on the web or
mailing list) his work thus far so it can be evaluated by people such as
yourself so we can all participate in the development effort, even if it is
not yet completely finished to date. This will most likely stimulate a more
comfortable environment for us all to work on changes and patches for the
I-patch. Perhaps an online CVS tree would help so we call can track and
participate in the effort to resolve these issues.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3, USNR-R, N3GWG
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Monday, July 09, 2001 1:33 PM