Re: Announce loop-AES-v1.3b file crypto package

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Jari Ruusu wrote:

> Dale Amon wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 06:39:16PM -0700, IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R wrote:
> > > a) It installed flawlessly (though I did install the standard Linus version
> > > of 2.4.6 kernel first)
> > > b) I created a loop back device with it, and in fact was able to mkreiserfs
> > > on the device, mount it, and write data to it with crypto above the
> > > mkreiserfs
> > >

> > Likewise, I have been using the 2.4.3 international patch
> > and running multiple machines with reiserfs on top of a
> > crypto loopback on top of a raw raid1 set for over 4 months
> > and have had no problem.
> >
> > I have applied the international patches and built kernels
> > for a large number of machines, from laptops to desktop to
> > servers, all without pain or bother.
> >
> > I have had exactly zero trouble with the international
> > patches except for the cases where they seriously lagged
> > mainstream kernel release.
>
> patch-int-2.4.6.bz2 available from HVR's web site is still the same time
> bomb waiting to explode as patch-int-2.4.3.1.bz2.
>
> Have you actually audited that code?
>
> I have audited some of it. Conclusion: BROKEN

...do you mind sharing your thoughts with us? :-)
but please, don't tell me again, to give up on the crypto API... ;-)

since I'm quite determined to fix all problems, it would be usefull to
have a definite list of them...

btw, the non-reentrant part has been almost fixed... but it's not
released yet.

if you are refering to the IV overflow, that's going to be addressed as
well rsn...

as to the patch-int vs cryptoapi, the patch-int-2.4.6.bz2 actually nothing
more than a patch-int-2.4.3.1 applied against a 2.4.6...

so they are both the same...

greetings,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: hvr@xxxxxxxxxx       /    Finger hvr@xxxxxxx for GnuPG Public Key