Re: Hardware crypto

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 11:32:13PM +0200, Alexander S A Kjeldaas wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 12:10:30PM -0400, Michael T. Babcock wrote:
> >
> > A queuing concept is definately needed if this is to be done right the first
> > time (so to speak).  The configuration of this interface, however, would be
> > the interesting challenge here.  How to present to the user (the sysadmin,
> > most likely) the options for dealing with crypto on a per-system, perhaps
> > per-app basis.  Prioritising certain applications over others, perhaps,
> > would end up being an issue as well.
> >
> > For example:
> > OpenSSL uses the "crypto accel api" for web serving.
> > FreeS/WAN uses it for VPN traffic.
>
> ok
>
> > GPG uses it to encrypt E-mails or generate signatures.
>
> This is a stretch!  Unless there is a painfully obvious win of
> involving the kernel in GPGs activities I it should be left to do its
> stuff in userland.

I agree that it is better off in a shared object library for
userspace.  Having said that, how do we get the shared object library
to share the one or more hardware crypto accellerators with such a
facility provided to kernel consumers?

> > I would probably set the FreeS/WAN requests to have a slightly lower
> > priority than the OpenSSL requests because we host E-commerce sites ... and
> > the GPG traffic would be lowest, but I wouldn't want it to get swamped out
> > of the picture if the crypto card were at full use.  Having it send a
> > suitable? number of requests to the software crypto system would be
> > necessary as well.
>
> Hopefully this could be (indirectly) handled by other parts of the
> kernel, namely the QoS modules or the traffic shaper.

Hopefully.

> > It becomes quite interestingly complex ;-).
>
> It certainly _can_ be made complex.

Let's not make it complex.  Complexity is the enemy of good security.

> astor
>
> --
> Alexander Kjeldaas                Mail:  astor@xxxxxxx
> finger astor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for OpenPGP key.
>
> Linux-crypto:  cryptography in and on the Linux system
> Archive:       http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/

	slainte mhath, RGB
- --
Richard Guy Briggs -- PGP key available            Auto-Free Ottawa! Canada
<www.conscoop.ottawa.on.ca/rgb/>                       <www.flora.org/afo/>
Prevent Internet Wiretapping!        --        FreeS/WAN:<www.freeswan.org>
Thanks for voting Green! -- <green.ca>      Marillion:<www.marillion.co.uk>