Re: Hardware crypto

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 12:10:30PM -0400, Michael T. Babcock wrote:

> A queuing concept is definately needed if this is to be done right the first
> time (so to speak).  The configuration of this interface, however, would be
> the interesting challenge here.  How to present to the user (the sysadmin,
> most likely) the options for dealing with crypto on a per-system, perhaps
> per-app basis.  Prioritising certain applications over others, perhaps,
> would end up being an issue as well.
>
> For example:
> OpenSSL uses the "crypto accel api" for web serving.
> FreeS/WAN uses it for VPN traffic.

ok

> GPG uses it to encrypt E-mails or generate signatures.

This is a stretch!  Unless there is a painfully obvious win of
involving the kernel in GPGs activities I it should be left to do its
stuff in userland.

> I would probably set the FreeS/WAN requests to have a slightly lower
> priority than the OpenSSL requests because we host E-commerce sites ... and
> the GPG traffic would be lowest, but I wouldn't want it to get swamped out
> of the picture if the crypto card were at full use.  Having it send a
> suitable? number of requests to the software crypto system would be
> necessary as well.

Hopefully this could be (indirectly) handled by other parts of the
kernel, namely the QoS modules or the traffic shaper.

> It becomes quite interestingly complex ;-).

It certainly _can_ be made complex.

astor

--
Alexander Kjeldaas                Mail:  astor@xxxxxxx