Re: Hardware crypto

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 01:38:31PM +0000, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Peter van Hove wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> > i was wndering if there already is support for crypto cards in the kernel and if so
> > can they be used to accelerate IPsec encryption.
> >

> Lee Cremeans <leec@xxxxxxxx> is working on a driver for a crypto card
> for Linux. He posted an unrelated question on lkml, but has not said
> anything more about it. If it is there, I'll try and make this work for
> the cryptoapi (kerneli patch). But so far, both frees/wan and (this is a
> guess) the nist implementation of ipsec for linux do not use the crypto
> api. The redcreek thing might be the better way for now.

I think there are some interesting issues to be solved when we want to
get hardware crypto cards running under Linux.  For one, we want to
have a queue of processing requests for the device instead of having a
synchronous interface like most crypto libraries offer.  We also
probably want to use the CPU if the queue starts to have too many
entries, or load-balance between several cards, so we need a
"crypto-provider" concept.  Also, for programmable crypto-cards we
might want to consider the cost of switching ciphers on the card when
choosing which requests should be done by which cards/CPU.  This will
be interesting to look at when the first drivers emerge.

astor

--
Alexander Kjeldaas                Mail:  astor@xxxxxxx
finger astor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for OpenPGP key.