Re: loop-AES vs cryptoloop

Jari Ruusu wrote:

> In-place encryption of partitions and disk images work just fine as
> long as these requirement are met:
>
> 1) File system must not be mounted at time of encryption
>
> 2) Encryption is allowed to complete without interruptions (power
>    loss renders file system partially encrypted and completely
>    useless)

Impressive! Risky! Cool! :-)

>Boyd Waters wrote: >> >> The loop-aes documentation (which is excellent, by the way) >> instructs you to download "aespipe" and use it to encrypt your >> system. I do not think this is necessary; I think that a dd command >> like yours is sufficient. > > This statement of yours about aespipe is a little bit out of > context. Direct 'dd' to and from loop devices work just fine... if > you have a kernel that supports loop crypto. Loop-AES' README > recommends use of userspace aespipe program with boot floppy or > CDROM.

Got it... so you can use the aespipe program anywhere, so it's a good
candidate for putting on a rescue CD-ROM.

Can aespipe use alternate encryption ciphers? Since it is statically
linked, it seems to be AES-specific.

As always, thanks to Jaari for clarifying these points!

-- boyd

- Linux-crypto: cryptography in and on the Linux system Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/