Re: loop-AES vs cryptoloop

Stian B. Barmen wrote:

If the non-encrypted and the encrypted file systems are of different size (or type), then it might be even better to use a higher-level tool that lets the file system handle things. I create an encrypted disk partition, make a file system on it as usual, and then restore my data to the new encrypted partition with cpio.

Does this mean that I need to make a new partition for my data and afterward
restore it? Can I not just keep my ext3 partition and encrypt it without
backup/restore.

If there is no other way then I will have to buy another disk and do the
backup/restore bit....

Stian:

I am not certain, but I do not think you can perform in-place encryption of your data.

In any event, I would STRONGLY encourage you to purchase that disk and do the backup before attempting to experiment with block-level encryption!

Cheers!

-- boyd

-