Re: loop-AES vs cryptoloop

Boyd Waters wrote:
> Stian B. Barmen wrote:
> > Does this mean that I need to make a new partition for my data and afterward
> > restore it? Can I not just keep my ext3 partition and encrypt it without
> > backup/restore.
> >
> > If there is no other way then I will have to buy another disk and do the
> > backup/restore bit....
>
> Stian:
>
> I am not certain, but I do not think you can perform in-place encryption
> of your data.

In-place encryption of partitions and disk images work just fine as long as
these requirement are met:

1)  File system must not be mounted at time of encryption
2)  Encryption is allowed to complete without interruptions (power loss
    renders file system partially encrypted and completely useless)

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@xxxxxxxxxx>

-