Re: loop-aes does not work with sector sizes != 512 byte

Jari Ruusu wrote:

> Peter Niemayer wrote:
> > Yes, works great! Thanks a lot for fixing that bug!
>
> I have to ask one more question: Can you (or anyone else on the list) test
> same changes for 2.2.20 kernel with 2048 hard sector size? I will post new
> diff on the list if someone promises to test it.

Alas, I don't have a system with tools old enough to allow for 2.2 boots -
I'm just using too many fancy new features... I know... :-)

I'll ask if some of the other people I know who own MO drives still uses
2.2 kernels.

> 2.5 still has that
> bug, and there is no easy way to fix that currently. In 2.5 all loop devices
> _share_ same hard sector size... OUCH.

Uh.. that reminds me of yet another 512-byte-nightmare not that long ago...
with 2.2 kernels, FAT filesystems on 2048 byte/sector media worked just fine.
Then came 2.4.0, and with it the inability of Linux to use FAT on such devices.
It took loads of mails and 7 minor version numbers until this ugly bug was
fixed, later...

And then, there's yet another such bug in the kernel: The ufs filesystem
makes the false assumption that some vendors variants of ufs are supporting
512 byte sectors, only. I had to do a quick dirty hack (hardwiring 2048 byte/sector)
to read some old ufs media...

It seems some automatic tool should reject any patch send to Linus that
contains the constant "512" but not "1024", "2048" and "4096" as well... :-)

Regards,

Peter Niemayer
-