Re: [RFC] quorum module configuration bits

[snip for readability just to highlight one idea]

>> Either way, internally, i don´t need to exchange the list of seen nodes
>> because either the nodelist from corosync.conf _or_ the calculation
>> request will tell me what to do.
>
> For me it is always preferred to have important statements listed
> explicitly. Implicit ones always leave chance to be interpreted incorrectly,
>
> Look:
> "You have cluster of max 8 nodes with max 10 votes, and 4 of them with 5
> votes are known to be active. I wont say which ones, just trust me."
>
> "You have cluster of max 8 nodes, and nodes A, B, C, D are active. Nodes
> E, F, G, H are not active. A and E has two votes each, all others have
> one vote each."
>
> I would always prefer latter statement.
> (This example has nothing to split-brain discussion, just an implicit
> vs. explicit example)

[snip]

> I'd also some-how recommend that even with redundant ring cluster should
> never be put into a "undetermined" state by powering-off old partition,
> powering-on new one and then powering-on old one again.
> Do not know why, but I feel that dangerous. May be my feeling is not valid.

Just to become synchronized.

Taking the example above:
You have ABCD running, 4 nodes 5 votes. expected_votes is 5,
higher_ever_seen is 5.
You shutdown ABCD and then poweron EFGH. Cluster runs with 4 nodes 5
votes. expected_votes is 5, higher_ever_seen is 5.
You poweron A.

What would be the correct final expected_votes value?

It would be 7 with you approach and 10 with "seen" list (assuming we do
not have leave_remove active, otherwise it may vary from 7 to 10,
depending on order in which ABCD have left the cluster).

But which of them is a correct one?

Vladislav