Re: [RFC] quorum module configuration bits

On 01/13/2012 06:10 PM, Steven Dake wrote:

> My suggestion is detailed and has detailed requirements, so please read
> through and see if this meets the interested parties needs.
>
> nodelist {
> 	node X {
> 		ring0_interface: 192.168.1.1
> 		ring1_interface: 192.168.2.1
> 		nodeid: 1
> 		quorum_votes: 1
> 	}
> 	node Y {
> 		ring0_interface: 192.168.1.2
> 		ring1_interface: 192.168.2.2
> 		nodeid: 2
> 		quorum_votes: 2
> 	}
> }
>
> + nodelist is optional (mandatory when using quorum or UDPU
> + X is just a name which doesn't use the resolver but could be the DNS
> name of the machine
> + nodeid is the node identifier of the containing node.
> + nodeid is mandatory for IPV6 networks, optional for IPV4 networks
> + nodeid will be autogenerated from the ip address if not specified
> + quorum_votes is mandatory if a quorum stanza is defined, otherwise ignored
>
> quorum {
>      provider: corosync_votequorum
>      two_node: 0
>      wait_for_all: 0
>      last_man_standing: 0
>      auto_tie_breaker: 0
> }
>
> + expected_votes is removed and instead auto-calculated based upon
> quorum_votes in the node list
> + votes is moved to the individual node list

I will only speak for quorum:

quorum itself doesn't need quorum_votes. It is optional (like David
already mentioned). default to 1.

quorum doesn't care about nodeid in general. A list of nodeid makes
auto-tie-breaker working a bit earlier in the first cluster bootstrap
process, but it's nothing worth going crazy for.

Requiring a list is not mandatory either for quorum operations.

I suggest to keep it flexible instead.  Not everybody wants or need a
nodelist (mcast/bcast).

I suggest that if nodelist is available quorum uses it by default.
If the list is not available, then we want expected_votes.

If neither are available we error out, if both are available the list
has higher priority vs expected_votes setting.

I personally have no opinion on how the list is structured as long as I
can easily reiterate through the node list and be able to find out which
node I am in that list (specially if nodeid are not specified).

Fabio