Need some pointers on migrating code and data

We have an information system written on the mainframe using Cobol,
CICS and VSAM.  Most of the information has been migrated to a new
system written in PHP with PostgreSQL.  Most of the data was converted
to new formats in PostgreSQL, but not all of it.  Our organization is
trying to figure out if there's a way to port the old system,
especially the data, to another platform (possibly MVS 380 with
Hercules emulator or Windows or Linux) using Open Source tools in case
we need to access something for backup purposes after the mainframe is
eliminated.  We have GNUCobol built with Cygwin (including pdcurses) on Windows
and have done some initial testing with it.  Could build it with MinGW
if needed.
We also have OpenCobol downloaded via package manager on a Debian Linux
system.  Would appreciate any suggests on migrating/porting.

At the moment we're still trying to figure out the best way to get the
information in the VSAM files off the mainframe.  We're investigating
using ftp and even looked at trying to pkzip the VSAM files and then
ftp to a PC.  Does GNUCobol handle files in VSAM format or will they
need to be converted to another format?  Does GNUCobol handle ODBC and
are there any decent VSAM ODBC drivers around that someone would
recommend?  Is there some documentation on combining C code/libraries
with GNUCobol in case we try accessing the VSAM with a custom C
library and want to use that with the Cobol programs?  Has anyone
looked into porting GNUCobol to Hercules/MVS 380/tk4-?  If not, could
one just take the C output from GNUCobol and use that on Hercules with
gccmvs?  Would it be easier to just port the Cobol code to Windows or
Linux instead of trying to get things working with the Hercules
emulator?  My biggest concern is trying to get the data over in a
format that will be accessible.  I read some posts about GNUCobol and
Open Kicks.  Does anyone have any information on Open Kicks or other
CICS alternatives to use with GNUCobol or automated ways to convert
CICS to screen?  Tried to contact the company that makes Open Kicks,
but haven't heard back yet.

My background is C programming on Windows and Linux systems so working
with mainframe software and file formats and Cobol is very new for me.
Would greatly appreciate any help or pointers in the right direction.
Thanks.

[Index of Archives]     [Gcc Help]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite Info]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]