Re: Need some pointers on migrating code and data

Op Wednesday 25 April 2018 05:58:59 schreef LM:
> We have an information system written on the mainframe using Cobol,
> CICS and VSAM.  Most of the information has been migrated to a new
> system written in PHP with PostgreSQL.  Most of the data was converted
> to new formats in PostgreSQL, but not all of it.  Our organization is
> trying to figure out if there's a way to port the old system,
> especially the data,

<<snip>>

> At the moment we're still trying to figure out the best way to get the
> information in the VSAM files off the mainframe.

<<snip>>

>  My biggest concern is trying to get the data over in a
> format that will be accessible.

Have done some data transformation from Siemens BS2000 mainframes to GNU/Linux
pc with GnuCOBOL 2.0.  Most simple method is:
- convert your ISAM files on the original platform (mainframe) to flat files
with all binary and packed decimal data fields converted to zoned decimal
fields,
- transfer those files with ftp to the pc environment,
- convert those transferred files to the ISAM files needed.
For conversion is of cource needed an utility program. Having the original
file description in cobol source format will help.

Regards,

Fred Mobach

[Index of Archives]     [Gcc Help]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite Info]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]