Re: Cluster Planning

I don't want to sound rude, but either you (or your customer) have the budget for a cluster or not.

My feelings exactly. Unfortunately, I do not have control over the level of reactive, crisis-based decision-making.

If you don't have the budget, it's better to just use the 2nd server as hot-spare and rsync the data over to the 2nd one and do the failover by hand (and even more so the re-activation of the primary server)

This is a satisfactory solution. Would you care to elaborate? I have read the book "Linux Enterprise Clusters" and it offered several approaches to this. The budget exists to buy Cluster Suite, which I was hoping would simplify configuration of Heartbeat and STONITH.

I have been looking at Unison as an option for synchronizing the primary node and the hot spare.

This always reminds me of people who want to drive cars they cannot really afford.

The real irony is that the customer IMO doesn't even *need* a failover solution.

/Scott

--

Linux-cluster@xxxxxxxxxx