Re: Cluster Planning

Scott,

The RHCS for RHEL4 does not requires a SAN like its antecessor RHCS for RHEL3.
All quorum control and cluster management is done throught network, so you will be fine without a SAN when using RHCS for RHEL4.

The only problem you will encounter is that without a SAN you will probably have to sincronize data between the servers if your application stores data on internar discs on the servers....

Also to use an active-active (same service active on both servers) configuration + loadbalancing you will need more than 2 servers; at least 4 servers, 2 for loadbalancing (1 active/1 backup) and 2 for the critical service active concurently on both servers (no high availability, no failover).

But if the active-active is for the servers (hardware), which means not the same service on high availability  then; 2 servers doing loadbalancing (1 active/1 backup), 2 servers providing 2 critical services, one actice on node A and the other one active on node B (failover activated)

Well thats my understanding about Red Hat's Cluster Suite... Please correct me if I Am wrong...

Att.
Filipe Miranda