Cluster Planning

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some assistance in setting up a two node cluster.

We have 2 Dell PowerEdge 850 machines running RHEL4. Our license for Cluster Suite is still in purchasing. The main thing in the Cluster Suite documentation which confuses me is the use of a SAN. RHEL4 docs claim that the need for a SAN has been eliminated, but I'm having trouble find more information. Most of the docs assume you are using a SAN. My customer could not afford the SAN, just the servers.

I would like to set up a high-availablity environment. I understand that due to the hardware configuration (no SAN, no RAID) that there are still points of failure. I'm hoping to set up a simple active- passive configuration. We will be running LAMP applications. If the primary server cannot deliver services, I'd like to automatically cut over to the backup.

Ideally, I'd like to set up active-active and load balancing, since the servers have DRAC4 fence devices for use with STONITH. However, since there is no SAN, I'm not sure how data will be mirrored across the two machines.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,
Scott Kellogg
--