Re: ceph-ansible installation error

I would greatly like to know what the rationale is for avoiding
containers.

Especially in large shops. From what I can tell, you need to use the
containerized Ceph if you want to run multiple Ceph filesystems on a
single host. The legacy installations only support dumping everything
directly under /var/lib/ceph, so you'd have to invest a lot of effort
into installing, maintaining and operating a second fsid under the
legacy architecture.

Plus, IBM Red Hat is a big fan of containers, so if you're a large
corporation that likes IBM hand-holding, they're throwing their support
in a direction contrary to the old install-directly approach,

And from an IBM viewpoint, supporting containers is generally going to
be easier than supporting software that's directly splattered all over
the OS. And much less overhead that spinning up an entire VM.

The only definite argument I've ever heard in my insular world against
containers was based on security. Yet the primary security issues
seemed to be more because people were pulling insecure containers from
Docker repositories. I'd expect Ceph to have safeguards. Plus Ceph
under RHEL 9 (and 8?) will run entirely and preferably under Podman,
which allegedly is more secure, and can in fact, run containers under
user accounts to allow additional security. I do that myself, although
I think the mechanisms could stand some extra polishing.

   Tim