Re: ceph-ansible installation error

I believe that the original Ansible installation process is deprecated.
It was pretty messy, anyway, since it had to do a lot of grunt work.
Likewise the ceph-install program, which is in the Octopus docs, but
wasn't actually available in the release of Octopus I installed on my
servers.

The Ansible playbooks also assumed things about the environment that
didn't fit my setup, so I never used them.

The good news is that unless you're determined to install a pre-Octopus
release of Ceph or want the legacy setup, the cephadm application makes
life considerably simpler.

In fact, I rolled my own playbooks and all it contains are the
following steps:

1. Install the ceph repository that corresponds to the release of Ceph
you want.

2. Install the cephadm package from that repository. Optionally you can
install ceph-common if you don't want to be restricted to doing all
your work via "cephadm shell".

3. Copy your ceph config files to the targer machine.

Now when you first run cephadm it will download and install the
docker/podman container image that is shared between most of the Ceph
daemons and after that, you're pretty much good to go. Image
installation might not get done until you attempt something such as
creating an OSD on that machine, but it will be done when needed.

As a final note, even in the latest Ceph releases prefer you to the old
(legecy) "Manual procedure". IGNORE THAT!!!! Lock for the cephadm
equivalents. They're shy, but a little searching will show them.

In other words, you don't really need a ready-made playbook now. You
can roll your own like I did, but that's just a convenience.

   Tim