Re: Do you need to use a dedicated server for the MON service?

If you're using cephadm or other container deployment scheme, upgrades shouldn't be affected.

When using a traditional package-based install, there can be snags in the unlikely event of a system rebooting at exactly the wrong time.

I personally prefer to keep mon/mgr services on dedicated, modest nodes, having experienced unexpected effects from mon restarts in the past.  But with recent Ceph releases, the daemons are better-behaved and lots of people converge in just this way.

If your nodes do not have extra RAM available for mon/MDS/etc, you might starve the OSDs a bit.

MDS is not multithreaded so it benefits from high freq CPU and doesn't care about cores.  Some people thus tie MDS to specifically-chosen systems.