Re: [DOC] Openstack with RBD DOC update?

Hi,

so there currently is a section how to configure nova [0], but it refers to the client side ceph.conf, not the rbd details in nova.conf as Ilya already pointed out. I'll just add what I have in one of my test clusters in the [livbirt] section of the nova.conf (we use it identically in our production clusters):

[libvirt]
virt_type = kvm
live_migration_uri = "qemu+ssh://%s/system"
live_migration_flag = VIR_MIGRATE_UNDEFINE_SOURCE, VIR_MIGRATE_PEER2PEER, VIR_MIGRATE_LIVE
cpu_mode = host-passthrough
disk_cachemodes = network=writeback
images_type = rbd
images_rbd_pool = vms
images_rbd_ceph_conf = /etc/ceph/ceph.conf
rbd_user = cinder
rbd_secret_uuid = <UUID>

Maybe leave out the non-rbd config options to only have a minimum conf in the docs? It is common to have the cinder user configured for nova as well because it requires access to both ephemeral disks and persistent volumes (just mentioning that in case it's not commonly known).

And this permission topic brings me to a thread [1] Christian Rohmann brought up in the openstack-discuss mailing list. If it's not the right place to bring this up, please ignore this section. There have been changes regarding glance permissions and the (openstack) docs are not consistent anymore, maybe someone from the ceph team could assist and get them consistent again? CC'ed Christian here as well. The ceph docs don't mention any other permissions than for the images pool, so the question is:

e) Instead of try and error on the "rados_*"-prefixed object required, maybe it makes sense to have someone from Ceph look into this to define which caps are actually required to allow for list_children on RBD images with children in other pools?

@Christian: regarding auth caps this was the main question, right?

Thanks,
Eugen

[0] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rbd/rbd-openstack/#configuring-nova
[1] https://lists.openstack.org/archives/list/openstack-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/JVZHT4O45ZBMDEMLE7W6JFH5KXD3SL7F/ [2] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rbd/rbd-openstack/#setup-ceph-client-authentication

Zitat von Zac Dover <zac.dover@xxxxxxxxx>:

You guys can just respond here and I’ll add your responses to the docs.

Zac

Sent from [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/mail/home) for iOS