Re: [DOC] Openstack with RBD DOC update?

On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 10:02 AM Murilo Morais <murilo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>  Good afternoon everybody!
>
> I have a question regarding the documentation... I was reviewing it and
> realized that the "vms" pool is not being used anywhere in the configs.
>
> The first mention of this pool was in commit 2eab1c1 and, in e9b13fa, the
> configuration section of nova.conf was removed, but the pool configuration
> remained there.
>
> Would it be correct to ignore all mentions of this pool (I don't see any
> use for it)? If so, it would be interesting to update the documentation.
>
> https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rbd/rbd-openstack/#create-a-pool

The use of that "vms" pool is for Nova to directly store "ephemeral" disks
in ceph instead of on local disk. It used to be described in the Ceph doc,
but seems to no longer be there. It's still in the Redhat version [1]
however. Wouldn't it be better to put that back instead of removing the
creation of the vms pool from the docs? Maybe there's a good reason we only
want to boot instances into volumes now, but I'm not aware of it.

[1] - Section 3.4.3 of
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_ceph_storage/3/html-single/ceph_block_device_to_openstack_guide/index

-Erik