Re: How many pool for cephfs

Le 24/01/2024 à 09:45:56+0100, Robert Sander a écrit
Hi

> On 1/24/24 09:40, Albert Shih wrote:
>
> > Knowing I got two class of osd (hdd and ssd), and I have a need of ~ 20/30
> > cephfs (currently and that number will increase with time).
>
> Why do you need 20 - 30 separate CephFS instances?

99.99% because I'm newbie with ceph and don't understand clearly how
the autorisation work with cephfs ;-)

If I say 20-30 it's because I currently have on my classic ZFS/NFS server
around 25 «datasets» exported to various server.

But because you question I understand I can put many export «inside» one
cephfs.

> > and put all my cephfs inside two of them. Or should I create for each
> > cephfs a couple of pool metadata/data ?
>
> Each CephFS instance needs their own pools, at least two (data + metadata)
> per instance. And each CephFS needs at least one MDS running, better with an
> additional cold or even hot standby MDS.

Ok. I got for my ceph cluster two set of servers, first set are for
services (mgr,mon,etc.) with ssd and don't currently run any osd (but still
have 2 ssd not used), I also got a second set of server with HDD and 2 SSD. The data pool will be on
the second set (with HDD). Where should I run the MDS and on which osd ?

> > Il will also need to have ceph S3 storage, same question, should I have a
> > designated pool for S3 storage or can/should I use the same
> > cephfs_data_replicated/erasure pool ?
>
> No, S3 needs its own pools. It cannot re-use CephFS pools.

Ok thanks.

Regards
--
Albert SHIH 🦫 🐸