From: Stefan Kooman <stefan@xxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 6, 2023 3:20 PM
To: Frank Schilder; Anthony D'Atri; ceph-users@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Re: Encryption per user Howto

On 6/6/23 14:26, Frank Schilder wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> there are still users with large HDD installations and I think this will not change anytime soon. What is the impact of encryption with the new settings for HDD? Is it as bad as their continued omission from any statement suggests?

We only tested flash, as we don't have any spinners to test on. So not
sure what the impact would be. From the blog post I got that the queuing
was there to mainly help workloads with spinning disks. But all that was
valid in 2015. It specifically mentions benefit for CFQ scheduler, that
since has been removed from the linux kernel.

So, it would be interesting to know if it is still needed on spinners
when used with Ceph ...

Gr. Stefan