Re: BlueStore fragmentation woes

On 25/05/2023 20:36, Stefan Kooman wrote:
On 5/25/23 18:17, Igor Fedotov wrote:
Perhaps...

I don't like the idea to use fragmentation score as a real index. IMO it's mostly like a very imprecise first turn marker to alert that something might be wrong. But not a real quantitative high-quality estimate.

Chiming in on the high fragmentation issue. We started collecting "fragmentation_rating" of each OSD this afternoon. All OSDs that have been provisioned a year ago have a fragmentation rating of ~ 0.9. Not sure for how long they are on this level.

Could you please collect allocation probes from existing OSD logs? Just a few samples from different OSDs...

And after reading your mails it might not be a problem at all. But we will start collecting this information in the coming weeks.

We will be re-provisioning all our OSDs, so that might be a good time to look at the behavior and development of "cnt versus frags" ratio.

After we completely emptied a host, even after having the OSDs run idle for a couple of hours, the fragmentation ratio would not drop lower than 0.27 for some OSDs, and up to 0.62 for others. Is it expected that this will not go to ~ zero?

You might be facing the issue fixed by https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/49885

We have not noticed any performance degradation whatsoever. We are running with bitmap for current OSDs, hybrid allocator for the new provisioned OSDs (4k min alloc size).

Gr. Stefan