Re: BlueStore fragmentation woes

On 24/05/2023 22.07, Mark Nelson wrote:
> Yep, bluestore fragmentation is an issue.  It's sort of a natural result
> of using copy-on-write and never implementing any kind of
> defragmentation scheme.  Adam and I have been talking about doing it
> now, probably piggybacking on scrub or other operations that already
> area reading all of the extents for an object anyway.
>

> I wrote a very simply prototype for clone to speed up the rbd mirror use
> case here:
>
> https://github.com/markhpc/ceph/commit/29fc1bfd4c90dd618eb9e0d4ae6474d8cfa5dfdf
>

> Adam ended up going the extra mile and completely changed how shared
> blobs works which probably eliminates the need to do defrag on clone
> anymore from an rbd-mirror perspective, but I think we still need to
> identify any times we are doing full object reads of fragmented objects
> and consider defragmenting at that time.  It might be clone, or scrub,
> or other things, but the point is that if we are already doing most of
> the work (seeks on HDD especially!) the extra cost of a large write to
> clean it up isn't that bad, especially if we are doing it over the
> course of months or years and can help keep freespace less fragmented.

Note that my particular issue seemed to specifically be free space
fragmentation. I don't use RBD mirror and I would not *expect* most of
my cephfs use cases to lead to any weird cow/fragmentation issues with
objects other than those forced by the free space becoming fragmented
(unless there is some weird pathological use case I'm hitting). Most of
my write workloads are just copying files in bulk and incrementally
writing out files.

Would simply defragging objects during scrub/etc help with free space
fragmentation itself? Those seem like two somewhat unrelated issues...
note that if free space is already fragmented, you wouldn't even have a
place to put down a defragmented object.

Are there any stats I can look at to figure out how bad object and free
space fragmentation is? It would be nice to have some clearer data
beyond my hunch/deduction after seeing the I/O patterns and the sole
fragmentation number :). Also would be interesting to get some kind of
trace of the bluestore ops the OSD is doing, so I can find out whether
it's doing something pathological that causes more fragmentation for
some reason.