Re: rbd mirroring - journal growing and snapshot high io load

Hi Ronny,

> On 15/09/2022 14:32 ronny.lippold <ceph@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi arthur, some time went ...
>
> i would like to know, if there are some news of your setup.
> do you have replication active running?

No, there was no change at CERN. I am switching jobs as well actually so I won't have much news for you on CERN infra in the future. I know other people from the Ceph team at CERN watch this ml so you might hear from them as well I guess.

> we are using actually snapshot based and had last time a move of both
> clusters.
> after that, we had some damaged filesystems ind the kvm vms.
> did you ever had such a problems in your tests.
>
> i think, there are not so many people, how are using ceph replication.
> for me its hard to find the right way.
> can a snapshot based ceph replication be crash consisten? i think no.

I never noticed it myself, but yes it's written on the docs actually https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/rbd/rbd-snapshot/ (but on the mirroring docs this is not actually explained). I never tested that super carefully though and thought this was more a rare occurence than anything else.

I heard a while back (maybe a year-ish ago) that there was some long term plan to automatically trigger an fsfreeze for librbd/qemu on a snapshot which would probably solve your issue (and also allow application level consistency via fsfreeze custom hooks). But this was apparently a tricky feature to add. I cc'ed Illya maybe he would know more about that or if something else could have caused your issue.

Cheers,

--
Arthur Outhenin-Chalandre