Re: rbd mirroring - journal growing and snapshot high io load

Hi Ronny

On 5/12/22 12:47, ronny.lippold wrote:
> hi to all here
> we tried a lot and now, we need your help ...
>
> we are using 5 proxmox 7.2-3 server with kernel 5.15.30-2-pve and ceph
> 16.2.7..
> per server, we use 9 osd (8x 2tb, 1x8tb both sas ssd, connected via sas
> hba)
> the second cluster for replication is the same hardware.
>

> at first, we tried was journal mode.
> everything was fine, but the used disk space in the cluster was growing
> (nearly 700gb per day).
> entries_behind_primary were looking good, some images with a value of
> 300, most 1-3.

Yes according to my test we were not able to have a good replication
speed on a single image (I think it was 30Mb/s per image something like
that). So you have probably a few image that write a lot and thus are
much behind in term of replication...

> after that, we switched to snapshot based.
> also ... everything was working fine (50 days), up to last week.
> since last week, we see a high i/o load in our virtual machines (kvm).
>
> we tried a lot, but did not find anything.
> the hardware, proxmox and kvms were not modified.
> after disabling the snapshot feature on the rbd images, the load goes
> down.
> disabling the rbd mirror processes did not help, load stays up.

If you have no rbd-mirror running while snapshot mirroring is enabled,
for me it means me that the load come from taking/deleting snapshots...
At what interval did you configure for mirror snapshots?

Cheers,

--
Arthur Outhenin-Chalandre