Re: replacing OSD nodes

Thanks you for your suggestions Josh, it is really appreciated.

Pgremapper looks interesting and definitely something I will look into.

I know the balancer will reach a well balanced PG landscape eventually, but I am not sure that it will prioritise backfill after “most available location” first.
Then I might end up in the same situation, where some of the old (but not retired) OSD starts getting full.

Then there is the “undo-upmaps” script left or maybe even the script that I propose in combination with “cancel-backfill”, as it just moves what Ceph was planing to move anyway, just in a prioritised manner.

Have you tried the pgremapper youself Josh?
Is it safe to use?
And does the Ceph developers vouch for this methode?

Status now is ~1,600,000,000 objects are now move, which is about half of all of the planned backfills.
I have been reweighing OSD down, as they get to close to maximum usage, which works to some extend.

Monitors on the other hand are now complaining about using a lot of disk space, due to the long time backfilling.
There is still plenty of disk space on the mons, but I feel that the backfill is getting slower and slower, although still the same amount of PGs are backfilling.

Can large disk usage on mons slow down backfill and other operations?
Is it dangerous?

Best,
Jesper

Jesper Lykkegaard Karlsen
Scientific Computing
Centre for Structural Biology
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics
Aarhus University
Universitetsbyen 81
8000 Aarhus C

E-mail: jelka@xxxxxxxxx