Re: replacing OSD nodes

> I know the balancer will reach a well balanced PG landscape eventually, but I am not sure that it will prioritise backfill after “most available location” first.

Correct, I don't believe it prioritizes in this way.

> Have you tried the pgremapper youself Josh?

My team wrote and maintains pgremapper and we've used it extensively,
but I'd always recommend trying it in test environments first. Its
effect on the system isn't much different than what you're proposing
(it simply manipulates the upmap exception table).

Josh