Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

> This thread would not be so long if docker/containers solved the
> problems, but it did not. It solved some, but introduced new ones. So we
> cannot really say its better now.

The only thing I can deduct from this thread, is the necessity to create a solution for eg. 'dentists' to install a ceph cluster. Everything really related to container use is moved to the future. The focus of the cephadm development more or less shows this.

> Again, I think focus should more on a working ceph with clean
> documentation while leaving software management, packages to admins. And
> staticilly linked binaries would certinly solve dependecy hell and "how
> to support other environments" for most of the cases.

I agree, and I worry that at some point only docker images are going to be available, and/or a CO environment that I do not want.