Re: ceph-ansible in Pacific and beyond?

> > Finer grained ability to allocate resources to services. (This process
> gets 2g of ram and 1 cpu)
>
> do you really believe this is a benefit? How can it be a benefit to have
> crashing or slow OSDs? Sounds cool but doesn't work in most environments
> ever had my hands on.
> We often encounter cluster that fall apart or have a meltdown just
> because
> they run out of memory and we use tricks like zram to help them out and
> recover their clusters. If I now go and do it per container/osd in a
> finer
> grained way, it will just blow up even more.

Indeed it mostly makes sense in a shared environment or so. Where you are forced to isolate processes or you want your containers to scale or migrate automatically. But it is not like osd.23 is ever going to move from hosta to hostb.
So you can not use the benefits of limiting cpu and memory resources, you cannot use the benefits of network isolation, you cannot use the benefits of migrating tasks, you cannot use the benefits of scaling tasks. And this applies to >90% of your processes (the osd's)

In dedicated ceph cluster you create extra complexity and dependencies on storage of your container images. I guess the container images are 300MB 400MB for an osd or so (assuming they are el7)?

I would say that ceph should start supporting something like alpine linux packages or so, so you have a rgw, monitor, mds that is only 20MB. Furthermore something needs to change in mon, mds and rgw design.
Afik each rgw still requires a unique client id, which makes it not very friendly to scaling such a task.