Re: Ceph and TCP States

Hi,

sorry to bump this old thread,

but I had this problem recently, with a linux firewall between cephfs client and cluster

the problem was easy to reproduce with

#firewall is enable with

iptables -A FORWARD -m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -j DROP
iptables -A FORWARD -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

(conntrack have cephfs connection)

then flushing rules
#iptables -F
#iptables -X

(Still working, conntrack still have the connection)

then, reenable rules
iptables -A FORWARD -m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -j DROP
iptables -A FORWARD -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

And the cephfs mds connection is now hanging for 15minutes. (monitor connection is reestablished correctly in less than 1s)

Then reason was that conntrack flag packets as invalid, because of out of window sequence.
(as conntrack stop to track them when rules are flushed).

A simple workaround:
net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_tcp_be_liberal=1

Hope this help !