Re: 'ceph-deploy osd create' and filestore OSDs

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 6:44 PM Matthew Pounsett <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 at 18:31, Vasu Kulkarni <vakulkar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>

>>> Is there a way we can easily set that up without trying to use outdated tools?  Presumably if ceph still supports this as the docs claim, there's a way to get it done without using ceph-deploy?
>>
>> It might be more involved if you are trying to setup manually, you can give 1.5.38  a try(not that old) and see if it works https://pypi.org/project/ceph-deploy/1.5.38/

Vasu has pointed out pretty much everything correctly. If you don't
want the new syntax, 1.5.38 is what you want. Would like to point out
a couple of things here:

* ceph-deploy has a pretty good changelog that gets updated for every
release. The 2.0.0 release has a backwards incompatibility notice
explaining much of the issues you've raised:
http://docs.ceph.com/ceph-deploy/docs/changelog.html

* Deploying to directories is not supported anymore with ceph-deploy,
and soon to be impossible in Ceph with tooling. If you are trying to
replicate production environments with smaller devices, you can still
do this
with some manual work: ceph-deploy (and ceph-volume on the remote
machine) can consume logical volumes, which could be easily set up to
be on a loop device. That is what we do for some of the functional
testing:
we create sparse files of 10GB and attach them to a loop device, then
create an LV on top.