Re: Mixed SSD+HDD OSD setup recommendation

* Bluestore. It's so much better than Filestore. The latest versions
add some more control over the memory usage with the cache autotuning,
check out the latest Luminous release notes

* ~15 HDDs per SSD is usually too much. note that you will lose all
the HDDs if the SSD dies, an OSD without its block.db is useless and
must be re-created from scratch. Depending on the type of the SSD it
might also be overloaded.
It's not a big deal if its too small, exact usage depends on object
size and omap usage; ~1% is fine if you have ~4 MB objects and
basically no omap.
If it's too small then it will just spillover to the slow OSD disk for cold data

* using LVM cache is possible, same caveat applies about losing the disk

* LVM. There are a few older discussions here on the mailing list
about whether this is considered "overhead".
It's a little bit more annoying to handle from an operations
perspective but still better than the old ceph-disk+udev issues during
startup.

Paul

Paul

--