Re: limited disk slots - should I ran OS on SD card ?

Thank you all

Since all concerns were about reliability I am assuming  performance impact of having OS running on SD card is minimal / negligible

In other words, an OSD server is not writing/reading from Linux OS partitions too much ( especially with logs at minimum )
so its performance is not dependent on what type of disk  OS resides  on

If I am wrong, please let me know :-))

Thanks

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 at 04:13, Janne Johansson <icepic.dz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Den ons 15 aug. 2018 kl 10:04 skrev Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx>:
> This is the case for filesystem journals (xfs, ext4, almost all modern
> filesystems). Been there, done that, had two storage systems failing due
> to SD wear....

I've been running OS on the SuperMicro 64 and 128GB SATA-DOMs for a
while now and work fine.

I disable Ceph's OSD logging though for performance reasons, but it also
saves writes.

They work just fine.

We had OS on DOMs and ETOOMANY of them failed for us to be comfortable with
them, so we moved away from that.