Re: limited disk slots - should I ran OS on SD card ?

Hi Steven,

If you are running OSDs on the SD card, there would be nothing technically stopping this setup, but the main factors against would be the simple endurance and performance of SD cards and the potential fallout when they inevitably fail. If you factor time and maintenance as a cost just as much as the hardware, you would be far better off getting a small NVME drive as mentioned. With regarding to booting from the NVME, I don’t know the answer to that unfortunately as we don’t use R620’s (our preference is the Dell 730XD), but I’ll check with some of our DC to see if they have that info to hand and let you know.

In my view, keep OS activity entirely separate from OSD operations too. Mixing the two can introduce a host of other problems which will cause a lot of pain along the way, such as receiving a hanging messages from the kernel trying to perform OS writes if the osd process is in a full recovery state. Always account for your failure redundancy in the worst case scenario and not the ideal one, I found this out personally on a very large cluster and is not a fun experience.

Kind Regards,

Tom