Re: where is it possible download CentOS 7.5

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Max Cuttins <max@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Brad,

    that post was mine. I knew it quite well.
That Post was about confirm the fact that minimum requirements written in the documentation really didn't exists.

However I never asked if there is somewhere a place where is possible to download the DEV or the RC of Centos7.5.
I was thinking about to join the community of tester and developers that are already testing Ceph on that "not ready" environment.

In that POST these questions were not really made, so no answer where given.

I see that you talked also about other distribution. Well, I read around that Suse already implement iSCSI.
However as far as I know (which is not so much), this distribution use modified kernel in order to let this work.
And in order to use it it's needed  a dashboard that can handle these kind of differences (OpenAttic).
I knew already OpenAttic is contributing in developing the next generation of the Ceph Dashboard (and this sound damn good!).
However this also means to me that the official dashboard should not be talking about ISCSI at all (as every implementation of iSCSI are running on mod version).

So these are the things I cannot figure out:
Why is the iSCSI board on the CEPH official dashboard? (I could understand on OpenAttic which run on SUSE but not on the official one).

We do not forbid features in Ceph just because they require a recent kernel.  The iSCSI support in the dashboard works if you have an iSCSI enabled system, and does no harm if you don't.

And why, in the official documentation, the minimu requirements to let iSCSI work, is to install CentOS7.5? Which doesn't exist? Is there a RC candidate which I can start to use?

I think this has already been explained to you, but to restate it for the record: the supported kernel bits are expected to be part of CentOS 7.5, which as you know is not out yet.  The same page in the documentation says that the required kernel version is 4.16, so you are free to find any distro that provides a >4.16 kernel and try that, or perhaps install a newer kernel on an existing distro.  As for pre-releases of CentOS, I have no idea, I don't follow their release process that closely.

And... if SUSE or even other distribution works already with iSCSI... why the documentation just doesn't reccomend these ones instead of RHEL or CENTOS?

There are many linux distros, many Ceph developers, and we don't all have up to date knowledge of every distro.  If you're having success with iSCSI on a particular distribution, then by all means open a pull request to record that on the requirements page.

John

There is something confused about what the documentation minimal requirements, the dashboard suggest to be able to do, and what i read around about modded Ceph for other linux distributions.
I create a new post to clarify all these points.

Thanks for your answer! :)