Re: Luminous upgrade with existing EC pools

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 9:23 PM, David Turner <drakonstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I ran into a problem removing the cache tier.  I tried everything I could to
> get past it, but I ended up having to re-enable it.  I'm running on 12.2.2
> with all bluestore OSDs.
>
> I successfully set allow_ec_overwrites to true, I set the cache-mode to
> forward, I flushed/evicted the entire cache, and then went to remove-overlay
> on the data pool and received the error "Error EBUSY: pool 'cephfs_data' is
> in use by CephFS via its tier".  I made sure that no client had cephfs
> mounted, I even stopped the MDS daemons, and the same error came up every
> time.  I also tested setting the cache-mode to none (from forward) after I
> ensured that the cache was empty and it told me "set cache-mode for pool
> 'cephfs_cache' to none (WARNING: pool is still configured as read or write
> tier)" and still had the same error for removing the overlay.  I ultimately
> had to concede defeat and set the cache-mode back to writeback to get things
> working again.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas for how to remove this cache tier?  Having full
> write on reads is not something I really want to keep around if I can get
> rid of it.

Oops, this is a case that we didn't think about in the mon's logic for
checking whether it's okay to remove a tier.  I've opened a ticket:
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/22754

You'll need to either wait for a patch (or hack out that buggy check
yourself from the OSDMonitor::_check_remove_tier function), or leave
those pools in place and add a second, new EC pool to your filesystem
and use layouts to move some files onto it.

John