Re: Luminous upgrade with existing EC pools

I've already migrated all osds to bluestore and changed my pools to use a crush rule specifying them to use an HDD class (forced about half of my data to move). This week I'm planning to add in some new SSDs to move the metadata pool to.

I have experience with adding and removing cache tiers without losing data in the underlying pool. The documentation on this in the upgrade procedure and from the EC documentation had me very leary. Seeing the information about EC pools from the CephFS documentation helps me to feel much more confident. Thank you.

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018, 5:53 AM John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 6:26 PM, David Turner <drakonstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not able to find documentation for how to convert an existing cephfs
> filesystem to use allow_ec_overwrites. The documentation says that the
> metadata pool needs to be replicated, but that the data pool can be EC. But
> it says, "For Cephfs, using an erasure coded pool means setting that pool in
> a file layout." Is that really necessary if your metadata pool is replicated
> and you have an existing EC pool for the data? Could I just enable ec
> overwrites and start flushing/removing the cache tier and be on my way to
> just using an EC pool?

That snipped in the RADOS docs is a bit misleading: you only need to
use a file layout if you're adding an EC pool as an addition pool
rather than using it during creation of a filesystem.

The CephFS version of events is here:
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/createfs/#using-erasure-coded-pools-with-cephfs

As for migrating from a cache tiered configuration, I haven't tried
it, but there's nothing CephFS-specific about it.  If the underlying
pool that's set as the cephfs data pool is EC and has
allow_ec_overwrites then CephFS won't care -- but I'm personally not
an expert on what knobs and buttons to use to migrate away from a
cache tiered config.

Do bear in mind that your OSDs need to be using bluestore (which may
not be the case since you're talking about migrating an existing
system?)

John