Re: Luminous upgrade with existing EC pools

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 6:26 PM, David Turner <drakonstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not able to find documentation for how to convert an existing cephfs
> filesystem to use allow_ec_overwrites. The documentation says that the
> metadata pool needs to be replicated, but that the data pool can be EC. But
> it says, "For Cephfs, using an erasure coded pool means setting that pool in
> a file layout." Is that really necessary if your metadata pool is replicated
> and you have an existing EC pool for the data? Could I just enable ec
> overwrites and start flushing/removing the cache tier and be on my way to
> just using an EC pool?

That snipped in the RADOS docs is a bit misleading: you only need to
use a file layout if you're adding an EC pool as an addition pool
rather than using it during creation of a filesystem.

The CephFS version of events is here:
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/createfs/#using-erasure-coded-pools-with-cephfs

As for migrating from a cache tiered configuration, I haven't tried
it, but there's nothing CephFS-specific about it.  If the underlying
pool that's set as the cephfs data pool is EC and has
allow_ec_overwrites then CephFS won't care -- but I'm personally not
an expert on what knobs and buttons to use to migrate away from a
cache tiered config.

Do bear in mind that your OSDs need to be using bluestore (which may
not be the case since you're talking about migrating an existing
system?)

John