Re: ceph-disk is now deprecated

On 11/28/2017 11:54 AM, Alfredo Deza wrote:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 3:12 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Op 27 november 2017 om 14:36 schreef Alfredo Deza <adeza@xxxxxxxxxx>:

For the upcoming Luminous release (12.2.2), ceph-disk will be
officially in 'deprecated' mode (bug fixes only). A large banner with
deprecation information has been added, which will try to raise
awareness.

As much as I like ceph-volume and the work being done, is it really a good idea to use a minor release to deprecate a tool?

Can't we just introduce ceph-volume and deprecate ceph-disk at the release of M? Because when you upgrade to 12.2.2 suddenly existing integrations will have deprecation warnings being thrown at them while they haven't upgraded to a new major version.

ceph-volume has been present since the very first release of Luminous,
the deprecation warning in ceph-disk is the only "new" thing
introduced for 12.2.2.

I think Wido's question still stands: why can't ceph-disk be deprecated solely in M, and removed by N?

I get that it probably seems nuts to support ceph-disk and ceph-volume; and by deprecating and removing in (less than) a full release cycle will force people to actually move from one to the other. But we're also doing it when roughly 4 months away from Mimic being frozen.

This is the sort of last minute overall, core, changes that are not expected from a project that should be as mature as Ceph. This is not some internal feature that users won't notice - we're effectively changing the way users deploy and orchestrate their clusters.

  -Joao