Re: ceph-disk is now deprecated

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 7:38 AM, Joao Eduardo Luis <joao@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> As much as I like ceph-volume and the work being done, is it really a
>>> good idea to use a minor release to deprecate a tool?
>>>
>>> Can't we just introduce ceph-volume and deprecate ceph-disk at the
>>> release of M? Because when you upgrade to 12.2.2 suddenly existing
>>> integrations will have deprecation warnings being thrown at them while they
>>> haven't upgraded to a new major version.
>>

>> ceph-volume has been present since the very first release of Luminous,
>> the deprecation warning in ceph-disk is the only "new" thing
>> introduced for 12.2.2.
>

> I think Wido's question still stands: why can't ceph-disk be deprecated
> solely in M, and removed by N?

Like I mentioned, I don't think this is set in stone (yet), but it was
the idea from the beginning (See Oct 9th thread "killing ceph-disk"),
and I don't think it would
be terribly bad to keep ceph-disk in Mimic, but fully frozen, with no
updates or bug fixes. And full removal in N

The deprecation warnings need to stay for Luminous though.