Re: Ceph versions not showing RGW

Just to get this really straight, Jewel OSDs do send this metadata? Otherwise I'm probably mistaken that I ever saw 10.2.x versions in the output.

Thanks,

Hans

On 2 Nov 2017 12:31 PM, "John Spray" <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Hans van den Bogert
<hansbogert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> During our upgrade from Jewel to Luminous I saw the following behaviour, if
> my memory serves me right:
>
> When upgrading for example monitors and OSDs, we saw that the `ceph
> versions` command correctly showed at one that some OSDs were still on Jewel
> (10.2.x) and some were already upgraded and thus showed a version of 12.2.0.
> All as expected -- however, for the RGWs, those only showed up until they
> were upgraded to luminous. So the command gives a false sense of a complete
> overview of the Ceph cluster, e.g., in my case this resulted that I forgot
> about 4 out of 6 RGW instances which were still on Jewel.
>
> What are the semantics of the `ceph versions` ? -- Was I wrong in expecting
> that Jewel RGWs should show up there?

RGW daemons reporting metadata to the mon/mgr daemons is a new
features in luminous -- older RGW daemons are effectively invisible to
us, so Jewel daemons will not show up at all in the versions output.

John