Re: RBD I/O errors with QEMU [luminous upgrade/osd change]

On 2017-09-10 08:23, Nico Schottelius wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> yesterday we had an unpleasant surprise that I would like to discuss:
>
> Many (not all!) of our VMs were suddenly
> dying (qemu process exiting) and when trying to restart them, inside the
> qemu process we saw i/o errors on the disks and the OS was not able to
> start (i.e. stopped in initramfs).

We experienced the same after upgrade from kraken to luminous, i.e. all
VM with their system images in Ceph pool failed to boot due to
filesystem errors, ending in initramfs. fsck wasn't able to fix them.

> When we exported the image from rbd and loop mounted it, there were
> however no I/O errors and the filesystem could be cleanly mounted [-1].

Same here.

We ended up rbd-exporting images from Ceph rbd pool to local filesystem
and re-exporting them back. That "fixed" them without the need for fsck.

--
Sarunas Burdulis
Systems Administrator, Dartmouth Mathematics