Re: slow requests and short OSD failures in small cluster

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 2:31 AM, mj <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Gregory,
>
> Reading your reply with great interest, thanks.
>
> Can you confirm my understanding now:
>
> - live snapshots are more expensive for the cluster as a whole, than taking
> the snapshot when the VM is switched off?

No, it doesn't matter when the snapshot is taken. Just, once you take
a snapshot, subsequent writes to any object in the snapshot (ie, every
object in the RBD volume) will incur a copy.

> - using fstrim in VMs is (much?) more expensive when the VM has existing
> snapshots?

Hmm, I hadn't considered this one. Maybe?

> - it might be worthwhile to postpone upgrading from hammer to jewel, until
> after your big accouncement?

"Big announcement" is a bit much — several tunables will be restored
in the next (10.2.8?) release.