Re: slow requests and short OSD failures in small cluster

Hi,

thanks for all you comments so far.

Am Donnerstag, den 13.04.2017, 16:53 +0200 schrieb Lionel Bouton:
> Hi,
>
> Le 13/04/2017 à 10:51, Peter Maloney a écrit :
> > Ceph snapshots reaaaally slow things down.

I can confirm that now :(

> We use rbd snapshots on Firefly (and Hammer now) and I didn't see any
> measurable impact on performance... until we tried to remove them. We
> usually have at least one snapshot per VM image, often 3 or 4.

This might have been true for hammer and older versions of ceph. From
what I can tell now, every snapshot taken reduces performance of the
entire cluster :(

So it looks like we were too naive in thinking that snapshots of VMs
done in ceph could be a viable backup solution. Which brings me to the
question, what are others doing for VM backup?

Regards,
--
J.Hofmüller

           http://thesix.mur.at/