CephFS: Future Internetworking File System?

I've been following Ceph (and in particular CephFS) for some time now, and glad to see it coming on in leaps and bounds!

I've been running a small OpenAFS Cell for a while now, and it's really starting to show its age. I thought I'd ask whether anyone's considered CephFS for a similar role?

As I understand it, Ceph authentication/authorization is very coarse (i.e. granularity down to the mount point level only) and doesn't operate any form of encryption between client and server, so I was wondering whether anyone was using a form of intermediary proxy to provide these semantics to the end user?

I was thinking perhaps of a WebDAV gateway (via radosgw or cephfs, and https via davfs2 for the client side) or NFSv4 (via cephfs... but obviously then you have to generate keytabs for the client machines, which I don't have to do for AFS at present) or whether this is just something that isn't anywhere near the front of mind for developers/users yet?

I realise this is not the current intended use cases, but I'm interested in people's opinions, and whether anyone implements such a scheme today.

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew Walster